Getting a job as a Personal Care Assistant is a great way to test the waters and determine if a career in home health care is for you. Personal care aides work in peoples’ homes assisting them with many common household tasks. Unlike Home Health Aides which are required to have taken at least 75 hours of classes, personal care assistants typically are only required to have completed a First Aide and CPR course. PCA’s earn slightly less than Home Health Aides, but because of the minimal education requirements it is a great entry level position for anyone who thinks they want to enter the healthcare industry.
Personal Care Assistant Training
As mention, the only training required to obtain employment as a Personal Care Aide is completion of an American Red Cross approved CPR and First Aid class. Because demand is so high for home health care providers, most agencies will hire you before you have taken the CPR course since it can easily be completed online in less than a day. Post employment training may be required depending on the agency you work for, but most of that training will be centered around company policies and procedures and will almost always be provided by your employer.
Personal Care Assistant Duties
As a personal care assistant your job responsibilities will be more centered around assisting the client with mobility, companionship, and general housekeeping. A common job for a personal care aide would be to visit an otherwise healthy elderly person for a couple of hours several days per week. During these visits you might prepare meals, do laundry, prepare a grocery list, or simply do light cleaning around the house. Another common job scenario for a personal care assistant would be to assist a disabled or handicapped client start their day. You may arrive early in the morning and assist them with getting out of bed, bathing, dressing, and possibly preparing meals for the day.
Ultimately, the main thing that a personal care assistant provides is companionship. Most of your clients will be individuals that do not have anyone else that is able to assist them with their day to day lives, or they may be an elderly person that has lost their spouse and may not have any other relatives nearby. In these cases you may be the only person they have regular contact with, and therefore by default, you will become their primary companion. You must take this role very seriously, and it is something you must consider before choosing to take on such a huge responsibility.
What is the Next Career Move for a Personal Care Assistant?
Once you have worked as a personal care assistant and have decided that you enjoy your career but would like to start earning more income, it is now time to look into furthering your education and moving up the job ladder. The most likely path would be for you to become a Certified Nursing Assistant, then continue with the additional Home Health Aide certification classes. Earning these certifications will open up several job possibilities and will certainly increase your salary. The good news is that if time is an obstacle, you can even keep your current job and take most of your CNA classes online so that your life will not be interrupted.
Personal Care Assistant jobs are truly the gateway to long and successful careers in the health care industry, why not get started now!
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- For placement, financial and other important information, visit online.daymarcollege.edu/disclosures.
- Medical Assisting - Associates Degree
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing