Getting a job as a Personal Care Assistant is a great way to test the waters and determine if a career in home health care is for you. Personal care aides work in peoples’ homes assisting them with many common household tasks. Unlike Home Health Aides which are required to have taken at least 75 hours of classes, personal care assistants typically are only required to have completed a First Aide and CPR course. PCA’s earn slightly less than Home Health Aides, but because of the minimal education requirements it is a great entry level position for anyone who thinks they want to enter the healthcare industry.
Personal Care Assistant Training
As mention, the only training required to obtain employment as a Personal Care Aide is completion of an American Red Cross approved CPR and First Aid class. Because demand is so high for home health care providers, most agencies will hire you before you have taken the CPR course since it can easily be completed online in less than a day. Post employment training may be required depending on the agency you work for, but most of that training will be centered around company policies and procedures and will almost always be provided by your employer.
Personal Care Assistant Duties
As a personal care assistant your job responsibilities will be more centered around assisting the client with mobility, companionship, and general housekeeping. A common job for a personal care aide would be to visit an otherwise healthy elderly person for a couple of hours several days per week. During these visits you might prepare meals, do laundry, prepare a grocery list, or simply do light cleaning around the house. Another common job scenario for a personal care assistant would be to assist a disabled or handicapped client start their day. You may arrive early in the morning and assist them with getting out of bed, bathing, dressing, and possibly preparing meals for the day.
Ultimately, the main thing that a personal care assistant provides is companionship. Most of your clients will be individuals that do not have anyone else that is able to assist them with their day to day lives, or they may be an elderly person that has lost their spouse and may not have any other relatives nearby. In these cases you may be the only person they have regular contact with, and therefore by default, you will become their primary companion. You must take this role very seriously, and it is something you must consider before choosing to take on such a huge responsibility.
What is the Next Career Move for a Personal Care Assistant?
Once you have worked as a personal care assistant and have decided that you enjoy your career but would like to start earning more income, it is now time to look into furthering your education and moving up the job ladder. The most likely path would be for you to become a Certified Nursing Assistant, then continue with the additional Home Health Aide certification classes. Earning these certifications will open up several job possibilities and will certainly increase your salary. The good news is that if time is an obstacle, you can even keep your current job and take most of your CNA classes online so that your life will not be interrupted.
Personal Care Assistant jobs are truly the gateway to long and successful careers in the health care industry, why not get started now!
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Medical Assisting - Associates Degree
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- AAS Medical Assisting
- BS Nursing Generalist
- AAS/ADN Nursing
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (BS)
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Associate's