Getting a job as a Personal Care Assistant is a great way to test the waters and determine if a career in home health care is for you. Personal care aides work in peoples’ homes assisting them with many common household tasks. Unlike Home Health Aides which are required to have taken at least 75 hours of classes, personal care assistants typically are only required to have completed a First Aide and CPR course. PCA’s earn slightly less than Home Health Aides, but because of the minimal education requirements it is a great entry level position for anyone who thinks they want to enter the healthcare industry.
Personal Care Assistant Training
As mention, the only training required to obtain employment as a Personal Care Aide is completion of an American Red Cross approved CPR and First Aid class. Because demand is so high for home health care providers, most agencies will hire you before you have taken the CPR course since it can easily be completed online in less than a day. Post employment training may be required depending on the agency you work for, but most of that training will be centered around company policies and procedures and will almost always be provided by your employer.
Personal Care Assistant Duties
As a personal care assistant your job responsibilities will be more centered around assisting the client with mobility, companionship, and general housekeeping. A common job for a personal care aide would be to visit an otherwise healthy elderly person for a couple of hours several days per week. During these visits you might prepare meals, do laundry, prepare a grocery list, or simply do light cleaning around the house. Another common job scenario for a personal care assistant would be to assist a disabled or handicapped client start their day. You may arrive early in the morning and assist them with getting out of bed, bathing, dressing, and possibly preparing meals for the day.
Ultimately, the main thing that a personal care assistant provides is companionship. Most of your clients will be individuals that do not have anyone else that is able to assist them with their day to day lives, or they may be an elderly person that has lost their spouse and may not have any other relatives nearby. In these cases you may be the only person they have regular contact with, and therefore by default, you will become their primary companion. You must take this role very seriously, and it is something you must consider before choosing to take on such a huge responsibility.
What is the Next Career Move for a Personal Care Assistant?
Once you have worked as a personal care assistant and have decided that you enjoy your career but would like to start earning more income, it is now time to look into furthering your education and moving up the job ladder. The most likely path would be for you to become a Certified Nursing Assistant, then continue with the additional Home Health Aide certification classes. Earning these certifications will open up several job possibilities and will certainly increase your salary. The good news is that if time is an obstacle, you can even keep your current job and take most of your CNA classes online so that your life will not be interrupted.
Personal Care Assistant jobs are truly the gateway to long and successful careers in the health care industry, why not get started now!
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Dental Assistant Diploma
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Respiratory Therapy
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).